1/1 Photo of Roasted Pepper Halves With Bread Crumb Topping
1 hr 10 mins
Realtor by day, Chef by night's Note:
This is a fantastic recipe. It's one that my husband really loves. Most men seem to love peppers, don't they? It originally came from the cookbook "Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen" by Lidia Bastianich. I've tweaked it a little for our tastes and made some changes to make it a little bit simpler to do. You can serve them hot or at room temp. for an appetizer or a wonderful, tasty side dish. I use them both ways.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 bell peppers (I use red ones)
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crushed garlic flavored Club crackers
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons grated romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Drizzle the bottom of a baking dish with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one clove of the garlic. I use a basting brush to spread everything around evenly.
- 3Cut the peppers in half. Pull out the cores, stems and seeds. Arrange the peppers side by side in the prepared dish with the insides facing up. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the peppers. (I use a sprayer and spray the oil over them).
- 4Stir the bread and cracker crumbs, the other 3 cloves of garlic, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, Romano cheese, 2 tablespoons of parsley, the thyme, and the crushed red pepper together in a small bowl. Spoon the crumb mixture over the tops of the peppers.
- 5Pour the stock into the bottom of the dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until the peppers are tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- 6Remove the foil and evenly scatter the grated mozzarella over the peppers. Continue baking until the crumbs are lightly browned and the mozzarella is melted, about 20 minutes.
- 7Transfer the peppers to a serving platter, stir the remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley into the juices in the baking pan, then spoon the juices over the peppers. (I always skip this step).
- 8Serve hot or room temperature.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Pepper Halves With Bread Crumb Topping
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 166.4
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 22.8 mg
- Sodium 447.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 9.3 g