Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Roasted peppers and onions, canned chickpeas and tomatoes, monterey jack cheese and an olive oil dressing. I had planned to make Vegetable Cheese Salad, but then I took it in a completely different direction.
- 3 large bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, etc.)
- 1 large sweet onion, like vidalia onions, thickly sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
- 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into small cubes
- diced tomato, somewhat drained
- olive oil flavored cooking spray (like Pam)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Holding peppers upright vertically cut off the sides (avoiding the seeds) so you have 4 flat panels from each pepper.
- Place pepper panels and onion slices in a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. Spray vegetables as well.
- Bake in oven until soft, about 1 hour. Remove and let cool enough to handle.
- Roughly chop the cooled peppers and onions and combine in a bowl with chickpeas, tomatoes and cheese. Stir.
- Pour the olive oil and lemon juice over the pepper-chick pea mixture; mix well. Add dash of cayenne and salt to taste. Mix well again.
- Serve at room temperature.
We really enjoyed this chick pea salad. I had a jar of roasted red peppers so it saved me the trouble of roasting them myself. The only change I made was to add some cilantro to it for extra flavour. Thanks for a great recipe.
Liked it with the changes we made--we just blackened the peppers on the grill and peeled (fresher taste) and used feta cheese---YUM! Have also used red wine vinegar instead of lemon and is just as good. Play around with adding fresh herbs--I've been tossing in whatever is growing :)