A sweet, spicy, rich sauce using fresh ingredients inspired by my CSA bounty. Great over pasta and perogies. If you use a jar of of red peppers this is a snap to put together. I absolutely love spicy food, but if you're not a fan of spice try omitting the chili peppers or using only a small amount.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 -2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped (I used the jarred kind)
- 2 -3 roasted garlic cloves, chopped (also from the jar of peppers)
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 birds eye chiles (optional) or 1 -2 other hot pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- cooked pasta
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1Saute onions in butter or oil over medium heat for several minutes until soft.
- 2Add brown sugar and a dash of salt, continue to cook until they begin to caramelize, reducing heat as needed to avoid burning.
- 3Add roasted red pepper, garlic and tomatoes, break up gently with spoon.
- 4Add spices, chili peppers (optional) and lemon juice, allow to simmer gently for a few minutes until flavours are merged and liquid has begun to evaporate slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Stir in cooked pasta and cilantro, toss well.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Pepper and Tomato Sauce With Kick!
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.0
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 127.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers