Recipe by LadyPoe
A sweet, spicy, rich sauce using fresh ingredients inspired by my CSA bounty. Great over pasta and perogies. If you use a jar of of red peppers this is a snap to put together. I absolutely love spicy food, but if you're not a fan of spice try omitting the chili peppers or using only a small amount.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 -2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped (I used the jarred kind)
- 2 -3 roasted garlic cloves, chopped (also from the jar of peppers)
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 birds eye chiles (optional) or 1 -2 other hot pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- cooked pasta
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions in butter or oil over medium heat for several minutes until soft.
- Add brown sugar and a dash of salt, continue to cook until they begin to caramelize, reducing heat as needed to avoid burning.
- Add roasted red pepper, garlic and tomatoes, break up gently with spoon.
- Add spices, chili peppers (optional) and lemon juice, allow to simmer gently for a few minutes until flavours are merged and liquid has begun to evaporate slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cooked pasta and cilantro, toss well.