Cooking this on the grille gives a very crunchy crust. See 'Notes' regarding oil and sausage.
My Private Note
10 " pi ...
Units: US | Metric
For the chile oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (see NOTE*)
For the pizza
- 14 ounces basic grilled pizza dough
- olive oil, for brushing
- kosher salt, for sprinkling
- 2/3 cup basic pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated on the smallest holes of a box grater (about 3/4 ounce)
- 1 cup basic roasted sweet peppers, medium dice
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausages, casings removed, cooked, and crumbled (see Note**)
- 8 ounces low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1For the chile oil:
- 2Heat oil in a small frying pan over low heat until hot, about 1 minute. Add chile flakes and remove from heat.
- 3Let cool to room temperature.
- 4Strain through a fine mesh strainer if desired, then transfer to a container and cover until ready to use.
- 5For the pizza:
- 6Heat half of a gas or charcoal grill to high (about 400°F) and the other half to low (about 300°F).
- 7Divide dough in 1/2 and roll into 2 rounds about 1/4 inch thick and 10 inches in diameter.
- 8Brush the top of 1 round with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- 9Lay dough oiled side down on the hotter half of the grill and brush the top with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- 10Grill without moving until grill marks form on the bottom of the dough, about 2 minutes.
- 11Flip dough with a spatula or tongs to the cooler half of grill. Spread 1/2 of the sauce evenly over the dough, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese over the sauce, then top with 1/2 of the peppers, 1/2 of the sausage, and 1/2 of the mozzarella.
- 12Cover and grill, rotating if necessary to avoid any hot spots, until dough is lightly charred and cheese is melted, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 13Transfer pizza to a cutting board, sprinkle 1 tablespoon more of the Parmesan over top, drizzle with desired amount of chile oil, slice, and serve.
- 14Repeat with second round of dough and remaining toppings.
- 15NOTE*: The oil lasts for a week or so covered at room temperature. If you leave the chile flakes in the oil, the heat will continue to increase as the oil sits.
- 16NOTE**: The sausage can be cooked and crumbled up to a day in advance. Store, covered, in the fridge.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Pepper and Spicy Sausage Grilled Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (706 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1093.9
- Calories from Fat 845
- Total Fat 93.9 g
- Saturated Fat 33.9 g
- Cholesterol 187.4 mg
- Sodium 2152.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 48.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted sweet peppers