Recipe by AnneWisconsin
A slightly spicy, creamy pasta dish. The texture reminds me of a fancy mac&cheese, but there's only 1/4 cup of cheese in the entire recipe. A yummy, savory, EASY dish, especially on a chilly night.
Top Review by Chef Buggsy Mate
Made this last night for dinner. I loved the taste of the sauce however; I had trouble with it coming together after adding the pureed peppers and cheese. I used fresh grated Parmesan cheese that tended to clump and give the sauce a curdled appearance. I thought as I continued to cook it down with the peppers that the sauce would become smooth. Instead the milk thickened and the liquid from the peppers separated from the sauce. I will make this again as the issue with the sauce very well could have been my error. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Made and reviewed for Spring PAC 2012
- 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage, ground
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage, ground
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bell peppers, or
- 10 mini sweet peppers
- 8 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 ounces pasta, radiatore
- to taste salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast bell peppers in oven [400 degrees, coat whole peppers in oil, bake 20 min, turning occasionally, until skins are browned. To easily peel, put in ziploc bag for 15-30min before peeling].
- Peel and seed peppers. Puree in food processor or blender until creamy. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta while you are doing the steps below.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, add garlic and saute a couple of minutes.
- Add italian sausage and heat until thoroughly cooked. Drain on paper towels, drain off excess grease.
- Add sausage back to pan, and mix in evaporated milk, pureed pepper, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Fold pasta into mixture.
- Divide into 6 servings, top with additional parmesan if desired.