Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Found on dlish.com. Haven't tried it yet, but hopefully soon!
- 3 medium red peppers
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups basil or 2 cups watercress leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- French bread
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced (fresh balls)
- Preheat broiler if manufacturer directs. Cut each pepper lengthwise in half; discard stem and seeds. Arrange peppers, cut-side down, in 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly-roll pan. Place jelly-roll pan in broiler at closest position to source of heat and broil peppers 15 minutes or until charred and blistered. Turn peppers and broil 5 minutes longer.
- Remove peppers to clean brown paper bag; fold top of bag over to seal it, and let stand at room temperature 15 minutes (keeping peppers in bag to steam makes them easier to peel). Remove peppers from bag and peel off skin. Cut each pepper half lengthwise into thirds.
- In blender or food processor with knife blade attached, blend olive oil, basil, and salt until almost smooth.
- Cut French-bread loaf horizontally in half. Remove and discard some soft bread from each half. Evenly spread basil mixture on cut side of both halves. Arrange mozzarella cheese slices on bottom half of loaf; top with roasted peppers. Replace top half of loaf.
So good! I used some basil I had frozen from the garden, scaled the recipe down to make one nice sandwich. Thanks! Made for PAC(pick a chef) in the contests forum.