Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is based on a Weight Watchers recipe modified to suit my own tastes. A wonderfully simple salad that can play center stage at the meal or accompany grilled meat and vegetables. Travels well and would work well for a potluck or picnic.
- 1⁄2 lb dry lentils, rinsed and picked over to remove debris
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Bring lentils and water to boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, char the red pepper over a high flame on the stove until the skin is blackened and blistered.
- Place it in a paper or plastic bag for 10 minutes to get the skin to further loosen.
- Remove skin from pepper and dice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Set aside.
- Drain lentils and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add vinegar, oil, garlic, peppers and basil; toss to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place salad onto serving platter/bowl or individual plates.
- Top with feta crumbles.
- Serve warm or chilled.
This was way too vinegary for our taste - but the rest of the flavors were great. Next time I'll try it with 2.5 TBS of balsamic. Definitely worth tinkering with - this recipe has a lot of potential!
I made this for a family reunion and it was a big hit! Being pressed for time, I used canned lentils and jarred roasted peppers and that worked beautifully. I also used soy feta to satisfy the vegans in the crowd. It was fully enjoyed by all :)
Yum!! What an awesome dish. My whole family loved it. I used jarred roasted peppers, added a touch more balsamic, and was a little liberal with the S&P. We were all in heaven. I was happy that it is such a healthy dish to begin with and so different than anything else I ever make. I will definitely make this often and try it out on company soon.