Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 3 red bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled,finely chopped
- 10 basil leaves, torn or cut into a chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler or prepare grill to high heat.
- Roast peppers under broiler or on grill, turning frequently until charred on all sides.
- Remove and place peppers in bowl, then cover them for 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Remove and discard charred skin, then core and seed peppers.
- Cut them into fine dice.
- In medium bowl, combine peppers, garlic, basil, vinegar and oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature to allow flavors to blend.
This was really good! Both in its traditional use as salsa with tortilla chips and piled in a chicken tortilla wrap. As soon as I get another batch made, I'm going to really quickly (i.e. before it all gets eaten too!) put some in the freezer to see how it does in there. If it freezes successfully (and I suspect it might), it will be a great way to preserve both roasted red bells and basil. Thanks for a great recipe.