Prep 7 mins
Cook 40 mins
Oven baked pears with slightly sweet/spiced pink syrup and whole cranberries. I found this recipe years ago in a news paper and clipped it out. Took me a while to make it, but once I did, I knew it was a keeper. I then washed the jeans I was wearing when cooking and melted the news paper. I did a search on the net, but could not find it there. So I had to quickly write down the recipe before I forgot it. So hear it is for me to always have. Hope you enjoy it as well.
- 4 firm ripe pears, peeled and split in half
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1. Heat over to 400F, use a baking dish with 1" sides.
- 2. Lay peeled, split and cored half pears in baking dish cut side down.
- 3. Mix together 1 cup water, vinegar, salt, spice and sugar. Pour over pears and drop in pats of butter.
- 4. Bake for 15mins basting the pears once at 7 minutes time.
- 5. At 15 minutes cooking time, add 2 tablespoons water and cranberries to baking dish, bast pears again.
- 6. Bake for another 10 minutes, then bast pears. Check with fork to see if pears are tender.
- 7. If pears are tender then they are done, if not cook another 10-15 minutes.
- 8. You can add more water if needed. I also add more then 3/4 cup cranberries.
- 9. This is very good on it own or with vanilla ice cream.
This was a nice blend of flavors! I did not peel my pears, left them in halves, and made this with 1 1/4 cups cranberries, 1 cup broken walnut pieces, and added 1/4 cup raw sugar. Next time I'll reduce the water to 3/4 cup and will cover the dish with foil for the first 10 minutes of cooking ~ Made for Fall PAC 2012.