Recipe by evelyn/athens
I came back from the village with a boxful of pears from my father-in-law's orchard and looked for ways to use them up fast. I found this Giada de Laurentis recipe which I loved.
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 firm bosc pears, peeled, halved, cored (about 1 pound)
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the pears cut side up in an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Whisk the apple juice and sugar in a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the butter. Pour the sauce over the pears. Bake until the pears are crisp-tender and beginning to brown, basting occasionally with the juices, about 35 minutes.
- Spoon the pears onto plates. Top with ice cream. Drizzle with any juices and serve.
- The pears can also be served frozen. To do so, cool the pears, then place them in the freezer until frozen solid, about 8 hours.