Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my take on a salad that I had a few years ago when I was working in Wisconsin. It made such an impression on me that even now years later my mouth waters thinking of it.
- 1⁄2 cup light balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- 1⁄2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 ounces blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries, finely chopped
- 3 firm pears
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons light balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- sea salt
- 12 ounces spring greens, salad mix
- 12 ounces roasted deli chicken breasts, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix 1/2 C balsamic dressing and sugar in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Place pecans in skillet; toss over medium heat being careful to not burn.
- Slice pears in half lengthwise and remove cores. Place pears, hole side down in baking dish. Sprinkle a teaspoon of dressing and sugar mixture over each pear and the remaining mixture around them. Bake uncovered until fork tender basting 3 or 4 times for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile trim asparagus by bending stems until the woody part snaps. Toss asparagus in olive oil and place on baking sheet in single layer. Sprinkle with sea salt. Roast stirring once after 5 minutes until tender but still crisp, about 10 minutes. Do not overcook. These can be done while the pears are roasting. When done, remove from oven and chop in bite-size pieces.
- To serve:.
- Place salad mix in a bowl, add chicken, asparagus, cherries, pecans, blue cheese and toss with 2 teaspoons dressing. Arrange salad on a plate, slice pears lengthwise and fan out on top of the salad. Drizzle pan drippings over the top of each salad.