Recipe by Gay Gilmore
This is absolutely stunning as a first course. I have used other nuts and other cheeses and it always turns out lovely.
Top Review by Joanne Fraser
My friend did this salad for me at a dinner she had. It was so fabulous I had to ask her for recipe. I made it again a few days later, and the family loved it. I lost the recipe at home and thanks to the net, I have it again! Definately a must do salad! I served it at the end of the meal. It was like serving a 'salad' and 'dessert' in one dish! If you do do this recipe, do add the shaved cheese. It's amazing!
- 4 firm pears (I favor Bartlett)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 7 cups arugula, washed dried and torn in bite-size pieces (or other salad greens)
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese
- 1 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500 F and put baking sheet in the oven to heat too.
- Cut each pear lengthwise, remove the core, then set cut side down on a board and slice thinly into 5 pieces lengthwise again.
- Toss pear with butter and sugar.
- Place on baking sheet and in oven to roast for 10 min, or until browned on bottom.
- Flip and roast until tender and deep brown, 5 more minutes.
- Let pears cool.
- Toast the walnuts in a small dry skillet until browned, 3 minutes and set aside.
- Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper together.
- Combine arugula and pears in large serving bowl, and gentley toss with the dressing.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave curls of Parmesan cheese on top of salad.
- Chop walnuts coarsely and sprinkle on top.