Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from"The Diabetes Weight Loss Cycle" by Antony Thompson. I have not tried it yet, but will as soon as peaches are in season - it sounds like it would make a wonderful breakfast! You need to use barley flakes, not plain barley, for this recipe, although I suspect rolled oats would also work.
- 3 -4 peaches, about 18 oz
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- saffron thread, large pinch
- 2⁄3 cup white grape juice
- 2⁄3 cup blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup barley, flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 deg F.
- Quarter and pit the peaches and place them in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Add the vanilla bean, saffron, grape juice and bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes until tender. Turn off the oven.
- Add the blueberries to the peaches and return to the oven to keep warm in the residual heat.
- Meanwhile, toast the barley flakes in a non-stick pan over medium heat until lightly golden.
- Sprinkle in the sugar and let it melt. Stir well.
- Sprinkle the sugared flakes over the peaches and serve at once.