Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another recipe from Parents Mag. Roasted chicken with a twist; topped with a honey-citrus glaze. Garnish with pretty orange slices.
- 1 (5 1/2 lb) whole chickens
- 1 small orange
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Remove giblets and neck from chicken.
- Rinse chicken inside and out with cold running water; drain well.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Grate 1/2 teaspoons rind from orange and set aside.
- Cut orange into quarters.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoons salt inside cavity of bird.
- Stuff chicken with onion, orange quarters, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Place on rack in large foil-lined roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Roast chicken 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine reserved orange rind with glaze ingredients, and brush over entire chicken.
- Roast 15 minutes more, or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of chicken thigh reaches 175°F and juices run clear.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before slicing.