1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Found this in a Fine Cooking magazine and am storing it here so that I can try it soon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, Grated
- 1/4 lb prosciutto, Coarsely Chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, Chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, Chopped
- 1Heat the oven to 425.
- 2Slice off the top quarter of the onions.
- 3Peel them and trim the bottoms just enough to make them sit flat.
- 4Heat the oil in a heavy-based ovenproof skillet until hot.
- 5Put the onions, cut side down, into the pan and cook just the cut side until well browned, about 5 minutes.
- 6Take the pan off the heat.
- 7Turn the onions cut side up and pour the wine over them.
- 8Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- 9Add the thyme sprigs to the pan and bake the onions until just tender when poked with a knife, about 1 hour.
- 10Remove the onions from the skillet (reserving the liquid in the pan) and let them cool slightly.
- 11With a spoon, scoop out the inside of each onion, leaving a rim 1/4 to 1/2" thick (about 2 layers of onions).
- 12Chop enough of the scooped-out onion to make about 1/3°C.
- 13In a medium bowl, mix the chopped onion with the breadcrumbs, Parmesan prosciutto, cream, chopped thyme, and parsley.
- 14Season with salt and pepper.
- 15Divide the filling among the hollowed onions, return the onions to the skillet with the liquid, and put the skillet back in the oven.
- 16Bake until the onions are very tender and the filling is hot, about 20 minutes.
- 17Serve with some of the pan juices spooned over the onions.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Onions Stuffed With Prosciutto and Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.1
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 238.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: