Recipe by GoKittenGo
This is one of my favorite side dishes, from an issue of the Vegetarian Times. I vary the herbs almost every time I make it, but have posted it as written here. Preparation and cooking times are estimates, sometimes the vegetables seem to cook faster. Just be sure not to overcook the spinach! :)
Top Review by KMLWPA
This was really good, even though I made some adjustments. I used about a lb of small new potatoes, quartered lengthwise, 1 med onion and skipped the spinach because the husband is afraid of green things. Since I had to cook them along with the pork roast I was making, I had them in the oven at 350Â° F for about 1 hour. The husband had seconds and asked me to make them again some time. :-)
- 2 large onions, halved and peeled
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and partially crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups spinach, rinsed and chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Lightly oil a large roasting pan.
- Mix oil and vinegar in a bowl, add garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Trim ends off onions, and cut into wedges from end to end.
- Cut potatoes in large wedges.
- Place potatoes and onions in bowl with dressing, toss well.
- Spread potatoes and onions in single layer in roasting pan, and sprinkle with water or vegetable broth.
- Roast 30 minutes, stirring only once or twice and adding more water or broth if needed.
- Add spinach, and cook for about 10 minutes more.
- Alternatively: Sautee spinach and top with potatoes and onions.