Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I make this with different types of onions (sweet, yellow, red) and serve them with roasts. They have a nice, sweet-sour glaze. Adapted from a Sunset recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar or 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium onions
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Blend water, vinegar, sugar and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan.
- Cut onions in half length-wise through skins; place cut side down in the vinegar mixture in the pan.
- Bake, uncovered, in the lower third of the oven until onions give when gently squeezed and cut sides are glazed, about 1-1 1/4 hours.
- Arrange cut side up on a serving platter and season to taste with salt.
All I have to say is.....DeLiCiOuS!! These are me & my family's new favortie onions. We plan on making them many more times in the future. Thanks!
Very good. The only thing missing, I think, was a drop or two of olive oil in the balsamic mixture to bring some richness into the dish. We really enjoyed this with grilled lamb over the Easter holidays.