Recipe by Hey Jude
I make this with different types of onions (sweet, yellow, red) and serve them with roasts. They have a nice, sweet-sour glaze. Adapted from a Sunset recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar or 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Blend water, vinegar, sugar and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan.
- Cut onions in half length-wise through skins; place cut side down in the vinegar mixture in the pan.
- Bake, uncovered, in the lower third of the oven until onions give when gently squeezed and cut sides are glazed, about 1-1 1/4 hours.
- Arrange cut side up on a serving platter and season to taste with salt.