Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
The roasting onions smell terrific and add a mild but flavorful oomph to the pudding. Serve with roast beef or sausages.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium red onions, to equal 2 pounds
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 cube)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Quarter onions and place in a greased 9X13 pan; drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and gently loosen the onions and their browned bits with a spatula, keeping the quarters intact.
- (This much can be made ahead the day of serving.).
- Turn oven heat down to 375 degrees.
- Remove the top dried-out onion layer and dot the quarters with the butter.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend the eggs and milk. Add the flour and blend all until smooth.
- Pour the batter AROUND (not over) the onions.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until pudding is browned and puffed.
- Serve immediately.