Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another Southern Living favorite!!This easy salad makes a beautiful presentation and is good for a light lunch or to carry to a picnic or other covered dish gathering.
- 2 onions, halved and cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta, cooked
- 1⁄2 lb ham, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 (15 ounce) canextra long asparagus spears, drained (or use fresh that have been steamed till tender)
- 6 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) package blue cheese, crumbled
PEPPERED CHEESE CRISPS
- 2 6-inch pitas
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1⁄4 cup refrigerated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Drizzle onion strips with oil in a 9 inch square pan,sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Toss well.
- Bake onion at 450 degree for 20 minutes and set aside.
- Drain artichoke hearts,reserving 3 tablespoons liquid.
- Stir together mayo,remaining salt and pepper,reserved artichoke liquid,and lemon juice.
- Toss with onion,artichoke hearts,pasta and next 4 ingredients.
- Cover and chill.
- Arrange asparagus spears and tomatoe slices around a large serving platter.
- Spoon pasta mixture in center of platter.
- Sprinkle with blue cheese,and serve with peppered cheese crisps.
- Peppered Cheese Crisps directions--.
- Cut each pita into 6 wedges and seperate.
- Stir together mayo and next 3 ingredients,spread mixture evenly over wedges.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or till edges are browned.
I liked this- was easier to make than I thought- I made it warm for hubby and added chicken breast instead of ham ~ I had it cold the next day and it was even better I think- gave it a little time for the flavors to blend...i would cut back on the lemon juice next time though- it was a lil bit sour with the artichoke juice in there as well- oh I left out the asparagus-couldnt bring myself to eat them- even with this recipe..:) thanks for a good one!
Wow, is what I can say to this recipe! Amazing tastes together. My family loved it!