1/5 Photos of Roasted-Onion Gravy
Good with just about anything!! I sometimes add a teaspoon of dried herbs to the stock.After you transeferred the onions to the pan..add some stock to the tray, stir to loosen whatever bits are left on the tray and add it whilst making the gravy..it will add color and taste!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -10 ounces onions, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil or 2 teaspoons other flavourless oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 15 fluid ounces vegetable stock or 15 fluid ounces chicken stock or 15 fluid ounces beef stock, maybe a bit more or less,depending how thick you like the gravy.
- 2 teaspoons plain flour (rounded)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Place the chopped onions in a bowl, add 1 teaspoon of the oil, paprika, the sugar and toss the onions around to get a light coating.
- 3Then spread them on a solid 13x9 baking tray, place the onions in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, watch them- they need to be nicely blackened round the edges but not burned.
- 4When they are ready, remove them from the oven.
- 5First add the Worcestershire and mustard powder to the stock.
- 6Transfer the onions from the baking tray to a medium-sized pan, add the second teaspoon of oil, then, using a wooden spoon, stir in the plain flour.
- 7Stir all this together over a medium heat for about 2 minutes and then switch to a whisk, gradually add the stock to the pan, whisking all the time, until it's all used.
- 8Bring it up to simmering point and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- 9Taste to check or it needs salt and pepper, then pour into a bowl or a jug.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted-Onion Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.8
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 121.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: