Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Roasted onions are delicious, whether you use them in a soup, on a tart, or in a casserole. L like to serve them hot as a side vegetable, but they also make an extra special salad when tossed with peppery rocket, pecorino or parmeasan cheese - and the pan juices make a lovely light dressing.
- 12 button onions, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 25 g pecorino cheese
- 100 g arugula (rocket)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celcius. Place the onions in a shallow roasting tin and drizzle over the oil.
- Season generously and drizzle over half the balsamic vinegar.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring half way through, until the onions are softened and nicely browned.
- Drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and allow the onions to cool to room temperature.
- Using a swivel style peeler, shave the pecorino into wafer thin slices.
- Arrange the rocket, roasted onions and cheese on serving plates; drizzle around the pan juices and serve.