Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great, easy side dish to just about anything...chicken, pork, etc. The roasting carmelizes the sugar in the cabbage and develops a rich deep flavor. Adapted from 'The Everything Cooking for Two Cookbook'.
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cups napa cabbage, roughly shredded
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet on low; add the garlic cloves and cook very gently for 15 minutes. Discard the garlic and toss the cabbage with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 450°.
- Place the cabbage on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops of the cabbage pieces are browned.
- Serve hot.
Another excellent vegetable to roast. Don't be afraid to let it brown a little. It adds flavor. Just keep an eye on it as it will shrivel to nothing quickly. I used 1/2 olive oil, 1/2 vegetable oi and will probably cut the recommended amount in 1/2 next time. Asparagus, cauliflower and brussels sprouts are also exellent prepared this way.
I chopped the cabbage into pieces as if it were going to be in a salad and mixed it with the ingredients (including the garlic) specified in the recipe, but lowered the temperature to 400 degrees. It cooked in an oven-proof skillet and was delicious as well as easy to serve because it was pre-cut.
This was extremely easy and tasted awesome!! My 10 and 11 y/o boys even loved it, which is really saying something!