1 hr 5 mins
Recipe Reader's Note:
A tasty mushroom soup made with no milk or cream. White beans are used to thicken, and roasting mushrooms, onions, and garlic in the oven add great flavor. It's a flexible recipe. You can use any combination of mushrooms that you'd like, and any kind of broth that you'd like. This recipe calls for pureeing the onions, garlic and a small amount of the mushrooms, leaving most of the mushroom quarters for the soup, but you can puree as many of the mushrooms as you'd like. I've tried it as written, and also with all of it pureed. I actually like it best all pureed - it's like a more traditional mushroom soup. Adapted from a recipe found online - the original also called for 3 cans of beans, half of which were pureed, and half were left whole for the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 2 sweet onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and slightly smashed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 stems fresh thyme, divided
- 8 -10 fresh sage leaves
- 48 ounces low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl, toss the onions and garlic with 1 TBS olive oil, half the salt, and half the pepper.
- 3Spread onto a baking sheet.
- 4Then toss the mushrooms with the remaining olive oil, salt, pepper, 8 of the thyme stems, and the sage leaves.
- 5Spread onto another baking sheet.
- 6Roast the vegetables for 20-30 minutes - stirring every 8 minutes and remove and set aside any pieces that are browning nicely (before they burn).
- 7In a blender, add 1 cup of broth, 1 can of beans, the onions, garlic, sage leaves, about 1/2 cup mushrooms. Blend until pureed.
- 8Pour into a pot on the stove, and add the remaining chicken broth, mushroom pieces, and leaves from two remaining thyme stems.
- 9Heat and simmer 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Mushroom, Onion, and Garlic Soup
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.2
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 410.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 20.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves