Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Best: over grill. Next choice is roasting at high heat. From Ken Charney
Make and share this Roasted Marinated Mexican Tofu Steaks recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs tofu, pressed
- 3 ancho chilies
- 2 new mexico peppers
- 1 guajillo chile pepper, see note
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers or 2 serrano peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons unrefined unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- Note: If you can't find the gaujillo chile use another New Mexican.
- Preheat broiler with rack set 5 to 6 inches from heat. Slice tofu into 8 cutlets.
- In large skillet toast chiles over med heat 1 or 2 at a time by laying flat and pressing with spatula for 15 to 30 seconds or until they crackle and give off a wisp of smoke. Do NOT burn them. Flip and repeat. After they are done submerge them in hot water in a bowl, cover and soak until they are very soft about 30 to 60 minutes. Omit the jalapeno/serrano in this step.
- Place the tomato, jalapeno and red bell on baking sheet. Broil turning with tongs until blackened all over. The time for each will vary. Tomatoes and pepper about 5 to 7 minutes The Bell about 10 to 15 and it should be blackened almost completely.
- When cool remove the skins from the tomatoes and the stems from the peppers. You can leave skin on hot pepper unless really burned. Chop the tomatoes and hot peppers save the juice. Scrape skin off bells and remove seeds and ribs. Now coarsely chop.
- In blender combine the chopped veggies with remaining ingredients except the tofu and the stock. Puree until smooth. Add enough stock or water to make a "thick cream" sauce.
- Put tofu in 2 large heavy sealable freezer bags then Dividing the sauce between bags make sure it is coated well. Seal bags and let them marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- Now preheat the oven to 450F Place tofu in half of the sauce on oiled or pammed baking dish. Roast for 10 minutes on one side then 5 on the other.
- Heat remaining sauce. Serve tofu cutlets with this sauce. Garnish with cilantro.
- Marinate overnight for maxium flavor. For easier prep, use canned peeled tomatoes and already roasted peppers.