1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Cucina Casalingo's Note:
This roasted chicken takes a little preparation and a little patience. Browning the chicken before roasting it gets a little messy. The small hassle is time well spent, though; the flavor is superior to that of more simply prepared roasts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 16 white pearl onions, peeled and trimmed
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, separated and peeled
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (4 -5 lb) roasting chickens, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup Chardonnay wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic cloves, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- 4When the vegetables are caramelized, spoon them along the sides of a large roasting pan and set it aside.
- 5Reduce the burner heat slightly and allow the pan to cool a bit.
- 6Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan and return the pan to medium-high heat.
- 7Season the prepared chicken with the remaining salt and pepper, and brown it in the hot oil.
- 8Transfer the chicken to the center of the roasting pan, carefully cut 1-inch slits into the skin, and pour the pan juices on top of the chicken.
- 9Very carefully pull open the slits in the skin and rub the lemon zest, parsley, rosemary, and thyme under the skin.
- 10Add the wine to the skillet and deglaze, scraping up any browned bits from the pan.
- 11After the wine has simmered for 30 seconds, add the chicken stock and heat through.
- 12Pour the wine sauce over the chicken. Cover the roasting pan with a lid or tightly sealed foil and roast in the preheated oven for 60-70 minutes, until the chicken tests 170 when a thermometer is inserted in the thigh.
- 13Allow the chicken to stand at room temperature in the pan for 10 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Lemon Rosemary Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 775.2
- Calories from Fat 529
- Total Fat 58.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 143.7 mg
- Sodium 932.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 36.9 g