Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is easy enough to do on a weekday, and delicious enough to serve for a Sunday dinner. It creates a really great tasting, moist chicken with very little effort! Please note: for the thyme, Zaar didn't recognize 1 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh thyme.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs roasting chickens
- 2 small lemons
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced (reduce by at least half if using dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced (reduce by at least half if using dried thyme)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- fresh parsley sprig
- Remove the giblets from the chicken, and rinse the chicken with cold water. Pat dry.
- Punch holes in the lemon rinds with a wooden pick. Cut the lemons in half. Place the lemon halves in the cavity of the chicken. (Sometimes I add a quarter or two of onion or celery pieces here). Truss the chicken; place the chicken, breast side up, on a lightly greased baking rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into the breast of the chicken, making sure it does not touch bone.
- Combine the oil and the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well. Brush the chicken with 1/4 cup of the oil mixture -- take the time to loosen the skin and rub some of the mixture into the meat, but make sure you oil the skin so it is deliciously brown and crisp.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat thermometer registers 170 degrees, brushing occasionally with the remaining oil mixture. Remove the chicken to a serving platter. Let it rest for at least 5-10 minutes before carving.
This was very good. I like lemon and thyme together. Made for ZWT6.
Simply delicious! Easy. Moist. I appreciate that I typically have these ingredients on hand. Served with Couscous With Seven Vegetables (a Moroccan dish). Thank you for posting breezermom. Made by an Unruly for Unrulies Under the Influence during tour of Greece.
Perfect Chicken! Everyone of my 8 friends who had some of this raved about how good it tasted and how juicy it was. Thanks for posting such a simple and tasty recipe!