Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My mom's recipe. This is a New Year's Eve dinner must have. The meat just melts in your mouth, and the sauce gives it a delicate and full flavour.
- 1 (6 -8 lb) pork legs
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 cups of rioja red wine (Marques de Caceres is my favourite)
- 2 cups of pitted prunes
- 1⁄2 liter heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 420°F
- In a blender, make a paste with the vinegar, herbs and garlic.
- Pierce leg a number of times and rub it with this paste, salt and pepper.
- Place in an oven safe dish, and roast for about 3 hours covered with foil paper, or until meat is tender.
- Uncover and roast for another 35 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let it cool. Then cut it into slices. I do this with an electric knife.
- Combine the bottle of wine and prunes in a saucepan and boil until prunes become really soft.
- Remove from stove top and mash with a potato masher until you obtain a smooth dark sauce.
- Layer an oven safe glass dish like this: A layer of pork, a layer of plum sauce and a layer of cream. Repeat until you fill dish.
- Put back in oven (covered with foil) at 400F and bake for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.