2 hrs 20 mins
Wendys Kitchen's Note:
Another fabulous Epicurious recipe. By Bruce Aidells. Time doesnot include overnight marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided, plus additional for brushing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- bone-in whole leg of lamb, large pockets of fat trimmed
- yukon gold potato, peeled, halved lengthwise
- 1Pound garlic and 4 teaspoons coarse salt in mortar with pestle until paste forms. Add 1/4 cup rosemary leaves and lemon peel. Pound 1 minute. Stir 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons pepper into rosemary paste.
- 2Place lamb, fat side up, on work surface. Cut shallow slits in fat about 1/2 inch apart. Spread 5 tablespoons rosemary paste over lamb, working into slits. Turn lamb over; repeat, cutting slits and spreading with remaining paste. Wrap lamb in plastic. Place in roasting pan; chill overnight.
- 3Preheat oven to 425°F Remove lamb from pan; brush pan with oil. Remove plastic wrap from lamb; return to roasting pan, fat side up. Roast lamb 15 minutes.
- 4Place potatoes in large bowl. Add 1/4 cup oil and 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- 5Reduce oven temperature to 350°F Arrange potatoes, cut side down, in roasting pan around lamb. Roast 40 minutes. Using spatula, carefully turn potatoes over; brush with pan drippings. Roast until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer potatoes to platter. Continue to roast lamb until instant-read thermometer registers 130°F to 135°F when inserted into thickest part, about 15 to 30 minutes longer, depending on thickness. Transfer lamb to platter; let rest 20 minutes. While lamb rests, return potatoes to pan; warm in oven 10 minutes to heat through.
- 6Arrange potatoes and lamb on platter.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Leg of Lamb With Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.1
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1164.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
leg of lamb