1/1 Photo of Roasted Leg of Lamb (Bone In)
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Lamb prepared this way needs no extras for flavor. It is delicious. If you wish, however, you may serve it with Greek lemon sauce or mint jelly. After the initial high heat of 450°F, you may reduce the cooking heat to 350°F as in this recipe or to 325°F, adjusting the cooking time accordingly. Lower temperature makes the lamb even more tender; however, some people find it too mushy when cooked at that temperature so prefer 350 degrees. At 350°F is is still tender and very tasty. If you are cooking less than a 5 pound leg of lamb, do the math and adjust the cooking time and it should come out finished at that time. Insert an instant read thermometer to be sure the meat is done and aim for 130-140°F.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Mix rosemary, salt, and pepper in small dish.
- 3Rub half of spice mixture over larger end of leg of lamb.
- 4Slice 2 large garlic cloves into about 15 to 20 slivers and mix with remaining spices in bowl.
- 5Cut 15 to 20 small slits in leg of lamb and place spiced garlic cloves into the slits.
- 6Rub 3 tablespoons olive oil over the surface of the leg of lamb.
- 7Place on rack in center of roasting pan and place in preheated oven.
- 8Cook for 15 minutes at 450°F and then lower heat to 350°F for rest of cooking time of 1 1/4 hours (or, alternatively, lower heat immediately and cook at 325°F for adjusted cooking time).
- 9Remove from oven and test with instant read thermometer inserted into thickest part of leg; consider lamb done at 130-140°F (temperature will rise about 5 degrees out of oven).
- 10Cover with aluminum foil and let rest 10-15 minutes.
- 11Slice into thin slices and serve.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Leg of Lamb (Bone In)
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.7
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 151.9 mg
- Sodium 594.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 42.2 g