Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Full title (doesn't fit above): Roasted Lamb Medallions with Maitake Mushrooms, Braised Pistachios and Blackberry- Recipe by Stephanie Izard, (Top Chef Season 4) I wanted so much to be able to taste this dish. The judges described the braised pistachios as somewhat of a revelation. Now I can have this at home, but will save this for something special.
- 1 rack of lamb, removed from bones (reserve bones)
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pint blackberry
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1⁄4 lb maitake mushroom
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup manzanilla olives, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- Clean silverskin from lamb and rub with miso and thyme. Refrigerate overnight. Brown bones in the oven. Meanwhile in saucepot, brown onions and garlic. Deglaze with red wine and let reduce. Add in 1 1/2 cups chicken stock and 1/2 pint blackberries; let simmer. Add in browned bones and reduce until slightly thickened. Season and strain.
- Place remaining blackberries in nonreactive pot with white balsamic and sugar. Reduce to thicken and strain.
- Place pistachios in remaining chicken stock; season with salt and simmer until nuts are softened.
- Break maitakes into bite sized chunks. When time to serve, saute mushrooms in one teaspoons olive oil and butter with salt and pepper.
- Wipe miso off of lamb, season and brown all sides. Place in oven for a few minutes then let rest. Mix together olives, shallot and remaining olive oil.
- To Serve, place mushrooms on plate. Top with sliced lamb and spoon of tapenade. Place a few pistachios on each plate. Pour spoonful of sauce on top and drizzle with blackberry gastrique.