Recipe by TheHungaryCook
I fell in love with this soup the first time we went to eat at Rockfish Restaurant, and had to have the recipe. I found this on recipelink. Warning, this soup is highly addictive. :-)
Top Review by rosslare
Most delicious soup, but I do think that somewhere along the lines the amount of liquids has changed from cups to quarts, which are quite different measures. I was cautious about 5 quarts of liquid and used cups instead, thinking it is easy to add if more needed. There was no more needed and did not need the cornstarch slurry either. Oh, and I pureed the whole lot, we like veggie soups that way. Perfect!
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, fresh, pureed
- 3 quarts heavy cream
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups red bell peppers, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chicken base (bouillon, bouillon may vary you may need less to watch the salt)
- 3 ounces fresh jalapenos, well roasted or pureed
- 4 ounces fresh cilantro (pureed)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cornstarch (completely dissolved water)
- 1 cup water, cold mixed with corn starch
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- TO ROAST JALAPENOS:Place on cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and place under broiler, turning so all sides are blistered and black. Remove from oven and place in paper bag or wrap in dish towel for 10 minutes, This will "sweat" the skin, so it is easily removed. Once skin is removed, rinse under cold water, then remove stems and open on remove seeds and white membrane. Removing the seeds and membrane from the peppers cuts the "heat" in the soup *Important Note: Wear rubber gloves when handling the peppers and do not touch eyes or face. When you are finished with peppers, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- In a med/hot stock pot saute garlic and onions until translucent.
- Combine all ingredients except salt/pepper and cornstarch mixture.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in cornstarch mixture until desired thickness. You may not need all of it.
- Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Simmer 3 more minutes remove from heat.