1/1 Photo of Roasted Jalapeno and Cheese Cornbread
Elly in Canada's Note:
This cornbread is best served freshly baked. The roasted peppers provide a light heat, a good strong cheddar is best for full flavour. I sometimes add two tablespoons of finely chopped onion along with the peppers. Source: Homemakers magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 small fresh jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strong cheddar cheese, diced (or grated)
- 1Prepare peppers: over grill or under broiler, roast peppers until skin is charred, transfer to covered bowl and let cool. Peel, seed and chop finely. Set aside.
- 2In 425 degree oven, heat 8 or 9 inch cast-iron skillet while you prepare the batter.
- 3Batter: in saucepan, bring milk to boil, stir in prepared peppers. Remove from heat and let stand until at room temperature, beat in egg and melted butter (or oil).
- 4In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flours, sugar, baking powder, cumin and salt; stir in milk/pepper mixture until just blended.
- 5Fold in cheese.
- 6Remove heated skillet from oven and grease with a little oil, scrape in batter, smooth top.
- 7Return to oven and bake until golden brown on top and bottom, approximately 25 minutes.
- 8Let cool in skillet for 10 minutes, with offset spatula, loosen bottom of bread and remove from skillet. Serve warm. Enjoy! .
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Jalapeno and Cheese Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.7
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 56.9 mg
- Sodium 385.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 8.2 g