Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is loosely adapted from Judith M. Fertig's recipe in Prairie Home Cooking. The original did not have any cheese or herbs. Either sweet or hot sausages will do; I've also made it with bratwurst. This is a very easy dinner, very nice for cold weather.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh savory, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more if needed
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 large bell peppers, cut into eighths
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into eighths
- 1 lb mushroom
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine herbs, olive oil, salt,pepper and potatoes and toss to mix.
- Place sausages and potatoes in large baking or roasting pan.
- Roast at 400° for 30 minutes, or until just beginning to brown, turning several times.
- Add a little more oil if the potatoes appear to be drying out.
- Add remaining vegetables and roast 45 minutes more, turning occasionally, until potatoes are brown on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and return to oven just until cheese is melted.