Recipe by COOKGIRl
Here I've taken a recipe for roasted chickpeas, cooled the mixture, added tahini, etc. and finally pureed the mixture. Very important to reserve all the cooking liquid. I think I got the roasted chickpea recipe from the Sugar Solution book...??
Top Review by *Parsley*
Amazing what roasting the chickpeas, garlic and spices does for the flavor! I doubled the garlic. Next time I will also roast extra chickpeas because I kept popping them in my mouth as I was waiting for them to cool....yummy snack ;) ! Thanx for a great new hummus recipe. I'll be making this again.
- 2 cups freshly cooked chickpeas (**RESERVE** liquid)
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons tahini
- salt, to taste
- 1 lemon, juice of, to taste
- fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl toss the chickpeas, garlic, oil and spices.
- Place the mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes or until beans are slightly "crisp" and golden. Stir the beans occasionally while baking so that they roast evenly. (If the garlic looks as if it may be roasting too quickly, remove and continue baking the chickpeas).
- Once roasted, set beans aside to cool.
- In a blender combine the chickpeas, peeled roasted garlic, tahini, salt and lemon juice. Add about 1/3 cup of the reserved chickpea liquid. Blend until smooth, adding more cooking liquid if necessary to aid in blending. Stop machine and scrap down the sides with a spatula. Blend again until smooth, adding liquid as needed.
- Adjust seasoning. Transfer to serving bowl, cover tightly and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, garnish with fresh parsley sprig. Serve the hummus with pita chips, French bread, cut up vegetables, etc.
- Hummus is best prepared at least 1 hour in advance, but ideally 3 hours is better.