Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Simple dish to make -- sweet but not too sweet. A lighter version using olive oil instead of butter. For holidays or any time. Because they are par-boiled or pre-steamed, they are easy to finish off in the broiler of your oven just before you sit down to dinner. No waiting, turning, or testing, just watch til the edges brown, and they're ready.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1 1/2-inch irregular chunks. The more edges they have, the better they will taste because each edge will become crispy from broiler.
- Parboil potato chunks in a large saucepan until they are softened, but not mushy. Sometimes I prefer to steam them quickly instead, it's your choice. The potatoes need to be almost totally cooked, because they will only be crisped in your oven broiler.
- While sweet potatoes are boiling or steaming, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, and honey in a large bowl.
- Set oven on LOW broil or set top broiler element to 450 degrees as soon as potatoes are added to mixture.
- Drain potatoes and toss with lemon/oil/honey mixture until totally coated. Pour into a 9 by 13 baking dish. Sprinkle with the sea salt, and roast under your oven's broiler setting on second-to-top rack of oven (not too close! Use the rack about 3 inches down from broiler. Broil until edges begin to brown.
- You'll have to stand and keep an eye on them, this only takes a few minutes with a broiler. Sometimes I rake them over once with a long handled spatula or turn them with silicone tongs.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Warn everyone it's a HOT plate!