Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Please do not substitute red peppers. Adapted from The New Spanish Table. This can be served as a tapa or side dish.
- 6 green bell peppers, halved and seeded (or 8-10 Italian frying peppers, halved and seeded. Do NOT substitute red peppers)
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling baking sheet and brushing peppers
- 6 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (the best quality you can find)
- flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush it lightly with olive oil.
- Place peppers on foil, skin side up.
- Brush with additional oil.
- Bake until peppers are tender and blistered in places, 20 minutes for Italian peppers, 25-30 minutes for bell peppers.
- Meanwhile, heat garlic in the remaining 1/3 cup oil in a small skillet over low heat, about 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until garlic just begins to brown and crisp, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove garlic with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reserve the oil in which the garlic was cooked.
- When peppers are done, transfer to a bowl, cover, and let stand 15 minutes, then peel. Italian peppers may not need to be peeled.
- Arrange peppers on a serving plate.
- Drizzle with vinegar and reserved garlic oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and scatter the garlic chips on top.