Recipe by Salvador Vilchis
Bhunni Saabut Masoor Dal From 1,000 Indian Recipes
Top Review by happyinthekitchen
Excellent! Very tasty. I will definitely make it again. Excellent on "Indian Spiced Rice" Recipe. Since I did not have garam masala, I found a recipe to make it using 3 tbs black peppercorns, 1.5 tbs black cumin seeds (charnushka), 8 cardamom pods, 4" stick of cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg (recipe I had said whole nutmeg, but I did not have one), and 2 star anise. I put it in my small food processor and then stored it in a jar.
- 1 1⁄4 cups green lentils, sorted & wahed in 4 changes of water
- 1 teaspoon mustard oil
- 4 pieces arbol chiles, whole dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon asafoetida powder, ground
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, fresh peeled & minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 piece serrano pepper, miced with seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 tomatoes, medium coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, fresh finely chopped, including soft tems
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the dal in a large saucepan and stir over medium heat until dry. Add the oil, chiles de arbol, garam masala, feugreek & asafoetida and cook stirring until the dal is golden, about 3 minutes Reduce heat if too much smoke arises. Add ginger, garlic, serrano peppe, coriander & paprika and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add water and salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Recuce heat to low, cover pan, and cook stirring occasionally, until the dal is soft & creamy, about 1 hr, adding more water if it dies too quickly. Mix in the tomatoes and cook until they are quite soft, about 5 minutes Transfer to a serving dish, mix in the cilantro and serve.