Recipe by Barbell Bunny
I absolutely love the green chile corn chowder soup they have at Sweet Tomatoes, so I found this recipe to suffice my cravings. I like roasting the corn and chiles before adding them to the soup. I do this by throwing them into the oven at 450 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes, or until the skins of the peppers start charring and wilting, and the corn browns. I enjoy poblano and anaheim peppers in this recipe. This is a filling soup, but pairs nicely with grilled salmon.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups corn kernels, roasted
- 3⁄4 cup green chili, roasted
- 1⁄2 sweet potato, skinned and chopped
- 1⁄2 russet potato, skinned and chopped
- 1 cup low-fat half-and-half
- 4 cups chicken broth, 33% reduced sodium, 100% fat free
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat, heat a large soup pot. Add olive oil and saute onions in turmeric. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted corn, roasted chiles, potatoes, salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and 1 cup chicken broth to the pot. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add half-and-half. Simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the broth and simmer 20 minutes.
- Season to taste and add cheese. Stir to combine and serve.