Recipe by Bev
I found this wonderfully tempting recipe in Cuisine Magazine. Serving suggestions include serving with lamb, grilled steak or salmon. Enjoy!
Top Review by Mirj
When I was a little girl my mother used to take my brother and me to the supermarket. To keep up from driving her crazy should would get us something to nosh on while she pushed us around in the cart. My brother always had something potato chippy, but I was happy with some raw string beans. My love affair with green beans has continued to this day and I adore practically anything with greenbeans, especially if they are roasted. Needless to say, I adored this dish, not just for the green beans, but for the combination of ingredients which made this truly a superb side dish. I actually roasted the green beans on one of those top-of-the-stove ridged roaster pans. I used a garlic and chili pepper infused olive oil, the smell was heavenly! I tossed them with half walnuts, and half pine nuts. Instead of oregano I used za'atar, a Middle Eastern spice. Together with some fresh feta it was an adventure to eat. The flavor combinations are Middle Eastern/Mediterranean, you almost feel like you are sitting by the Mediterranean Sea, feasting on this salad, with a cold glass of white wine with which to wash it down. Bev, this one is a winner!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper
For the Vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Snap off tips of beans at the stem end; place beans and nuts in single layers on two baking sheets.
- Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Roast beans in lower half of oven 5 minutes; stir and roast 5 more minutes.
- In a large bowl; whisk vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Drizzle in oil; add sliced onion.
- Toss roasted beans and walnuts in dressing, then transfer to a large serving platter or individual plates.
- Garnish beans with crumbled feta; serve warm or at room temperature.