Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy and flavorful way to prepare green beans. Roasting is a method I use often when cooking green beans, as the beans turn out tender with crisp, browned edges. The crispy, caramelized shallots and savory seasonings further accentuate the flavor of this dish.
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shallot, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, dried (or 1/4 tsp. each of dried oregano, basil, marjoram & crushed rosemary)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place all ingredients in a 9" x 13" baking pan (or on a cookie/baking sheet) and toss until green beans are thoroughly coated with oil and spices.
- Roast for 30 minutes, tossing at 15 minutes with a spatula, or until green beans are tender and beginning to brown around the edges. Some shallots near the top will become crisp, while the ones near the bottom of the pan will caramelize.
This was delicious! I threw in a leek with the shallots, and added red pepper flakes to please my "this needs a kick" boyfriend. Will definitely be making this again. Thanks for the easy, yummy recipe!
DH said "I'll have these again" :) I made as listed but also added pieces of red pepper to use up a half of one I had in fridge. Very simple with great flavour. Made for Aus/NZ swap April 2010 A keeper for sure :)