Recipe by Stacey Sweet
This year for Christmas my neighbor was kind enough to give me a copy of his mother's game recipes. She was a 3rd generation Newfoundlander and one heck of a cook! I remember her serving this roast on one of her visits. It is a wonderful roast and leftovers make great soup! Stacey
Top Review by GzNKz4evr
This was my first goose. My husband kept bugging me to give it a try so I finally did. The stuffing was very good and the duck was quite good. I am picky by nature, so saying anything it good is praise coming from me. The change I made was 1 cup of rum because 6 chopped apples was quite a lot for only 4 TBSP. I also found I had to prick the goose with a knife as a fork would NOT penetrate the skin. I used one can of chicken broth for the liquid, which was plenty. I do not advise to soak the breadcrumbs as the previous review stated because the goose adds so much of its own liquid, it would have been a mushy mess. The stuffung mix was too much to fit in the goose, so I cooked the remaining in a pot with a bit of broth. FYI goose fat is oil. I was looking for actual fat to skim. Something new I learned. :) Thanks for making my first attempt a success!
- 1 (10 lb) goose
- 1 1⁄2 pints stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large dessert apples, peeled cored chopped
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 12 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- soak chopped apples in 4 Tbsp of dark rum for 4 hours.
- preheat oven to 350 F.
- place goose on a rack in a rosting pan.
- mix together the apples, sage, mace and breadcrumbs.
- season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon inside the goose cavity.
- combine the salt and pepper and rub all over the outside of the goose.
- prick the entire goose with a fork.
- cover the breast with a piece of greased aluminium foil.
- roast goose for 30 minutes at 350 F.
- remove from oven, skim off excess fat.
- pour stock all over the goose.
- re-cover goose with greased aluminium foil and roast for 2 1/2 hours.
- remove foil and cook for 1 hour so the breast crips and browns.
- place goose on a warmed serving dish skim off excess fat from roasting pan.
- reduce pan juices rapidly, to make a thickened gravy.