Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A good burger that is healthy for you, and that has mushroom lovers in mind. We used the button mushrooms (personal preference). We roasted the garlic earlier in the day, so we used that. Am posting this as per request and I also have another friend in mind - eat hearty! Update: 02/07/2011 - after trying these a couple of times I decided that a Herbed Horseradish Mayonnaise would go well with it: 1/2 c mayo, 1 T prepared horseradish, 2 T parsley, basil or chives, 1 T EEVO, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir it all together in a small bowl and use. This will make it more moist. Hope you like it. :)
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms or 8 ounces button mushrooms or 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce (I used tamari)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 sourdough French rolls or 4 kaiser rolls or 4 ciabatta rolls
- salad greens, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking and remove grate. We did not use the grill we used a grill pan on the stove.
- In nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil.
- Add garlic cloves and cook until lightly browned.
- Turn cloves as needed to evenly brown.
- Remove to cutting board to cool.
- In skillet, cook onion slices & tamari sauce in remaining oil until tender.
- Toss in mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add balsamic vinegar, stirring until almost evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly while preparing burgers.
- Mince garlic.
- In medium-sized bowl, combine garlic with turkey, mustard, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Shape into 4 burgers about 4-inches in diameter.
- Spray grate with cooking spray and place over hot coals or prepare grill pan by spraying with a bit of cooking spray.
- Grill burgers about 5 minutes per side, or until no longer pink in the middle (165ºF).
- Place burgers& mixed greens on sourdough French rolls, Kaiser rolls or Ciabatta rolls.
- Stir bleu cheese into mushroom mixture and spoon on top of burgers.
- Serve with fries, sliced tomatoes and a beer!
Loved this! I'm trying to eat healthier, bought Perdue turkey burgers today. I added the garlic & mustard to the mushrooms & onions in the tamari & balsamic, and woo boy the mixture, on top of the burger, was so delicious. Thanks for posting this recipe!
This was very tasty. I modified the recipe a little bit mixing the cooked mushrooms into my turkey burger. It was very good.
These were really good! The mushroom mixture was great and all that garlic gave the meat excellent flavor. We served them on sandwich thins. We will definitely make these again!