Recipe by LARavenscroft
A recipe that I found on the back of Muir Glen tomatoes. This makes a really nice soup for lunch and is very quick and easy. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of whipping cream added at the end. I don't always use it depending on my mood.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Very good "express" recipe for tomato soup. Wonderful flavor. I let this simmer for a bit longer than listed. I agree that the heavy cream really isn't necessary. I did use fat free half and half and that was terrific. I garnished with some shaved parmesan cheese. Thanx for posting!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (used fire roasted with garlic, undrained)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-qt saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, basil and pepper flakes and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; uncover and cool for 15 minutes.
- Place mixture in blender, cover and blend until smooth.
- Return to sauce pan and stir in cream, if using.
- Heat through until hot.