Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A Rich Intense Sauce filled with sweet red peppers, sweet onions, earthy mushrooms, savory herbs and of course creamy roasted garlic. Don't hesitate with the garlic use it all. A foundation for so many yummy dishes - pizzas, pasta, chicken, and fish, or use in a Parmesan dish of choice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 5 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 heads roasted garlic, Be sure white throughout with no green in center before roasting, cloves removed from skins
- 3 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- In a large saucepan saute the onion, peppers, and mushrooms in the olive oil over medium-high heat until soft and lightly golden, 7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the sherry, add the salt, brown sugar, pepper flakes, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, oregano, parsley, basil, the tomatoes, stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mash the roasted garlic cloves.
- Add the roasted garlic and stir to combine. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Add fresh basil. Serve over pasta of choice.
- For a smooth sauce use in immersion blender.
5 stars (2/21/10) Made for RSC #15. Whole family enjoyed this sauce. I did like the use of all the garlic as we love garlic in this house. The flavors of the sauce came through on the back of the tongue and the garlic although it seems alot is not overpowering. I probably would use more basil in the sauce next time. Made and served with homemade lasagna. Will definitely use this again. Very simple to put together and I can see it tasting even better with fresh garden tomatoes! Thank you chef and good luck.
Awesome! It does make a lot,but that's a good thing since it's so versatille. So far,I've had it with pasta,but can't wait to try the rest with other things too. Something really good to have in the freezer. Thyme and paprika was something new for me in a tomato sauce.Can't wait to see who came up with it.Made for RSC#15.
Very good sauce. The roasted garlic makes it smell wonderful and the taste , mmmmmmm. It is also a very versatile sauce. I've had it over pasta, cous-cous and rice. It would also be good on pizza. I like it that it is vegetarian, that way I can have it just as it is or add some meat(balls) for a change. It also freezes well. Thank you for creating a new recipe and good luck in the contest. Made for RSC #15 Cooking Contest.