Recipe by Rita~
A Rich Intense Sauce filled with sweet red peppers, sweet onions, earthy mushrooms, savory herbs and of course creamy roasted garlic. Don't hesitate with the garlic use it all. A foundation for so many yummy dishes - pizzas, pasta, chicken, and fish, or use in a Parmesan dish of choice.
Top Review by Chef1MOM-Connie
5 stars (2/21/10) Made for RSC #15. Whole family enjoyed this sauce. I did like the use of all the garlic as we love garlic in this house. The flavors of the sauce came through on the back of the tongue and the garlic although it seems alot is not overpowering. I probably would use more basil in the sauce next time. Made and served with homemade lasagna. Will definitely use this again. Very simple to put together and I can see it tasting even better with fresh garden tomatoes! Thank you chef and good luck.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 5 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 heads roasted garlic, Be sure white throughout with no green in center before roasting, cloves removed from skins
- 3 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan saute the onion, peppers, and mushrooms in the olive oil over medium-high heat until soft and lightly golden, 7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the sherry, add the salt, brown sugar, pepper flakes, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, oregano, parsley, basil, the tomatoes, stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mash the roasted garlic cloves.
- Add the roasted garlic and stir to combine. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Add fresh basil. Serve over pasta of choice.
- For a smooth sauce use in immersion blender.