Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
I created this soup for my friend, Sharon, who shares the love of sweet potatoes! Tiny bites of spicy Andouiile sausage give it zip but can be served without.
- 3 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 lb andouille sausage, diced (or any other lean and spicy sausage)
- In a large stock pot add chicken broth, sweet potatoes, apple, onion, celery, red pepper, and carrots and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to a low simmer.
- Squeeze the cloves out of the roasted garlic and set aside.
- Simmer until everything is very soft, approximately one hour.
- Add garlic cloves.
- Use the immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend soup until smooth, return to pot.
- Add Thyme sprigs and cream, stir well and slow simmer for 5 minutes until all is incorporated.
- Saute the Andouille over med-high heat until crispy and add to the pot.
- Stir and serve.
This took forever to make because I started making the stock from scratch. It had a very rich sophisticated flavor that was not for the mean n' potatoes crowd, but I enjoyed the subtelties of the soup.