Recipe by Trinkets
I created this soup for my friend, Sharon, who shares the love of sweet potatoes! Tiny bites of spicy Andouiile sausage give it zip but can be served without.
Top Review by Mrsspeevs
This took forever to make because I started making the stock from scratch. It had a very rich sophisticated flavor that was not for the mean n' potatoes crowd, but I enjoyed the subtelties of the soup.
- 3 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 lb andouille sausage, diced (or any other lean and spicy sausage)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot add chicken broth, sweet potatoes, apple, onion, celery, red pepper, and carrots and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to a low simmer.
- Squeeze the cloves out of the roasted garlic and set aside.
- Simmer until everything is very soft, approximately one hour.
- Add garlic cloves.
- Use the immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend soup until smooth, return to pot.
- Add Thyme sprigs and cream, stir well and slow simmer for 5 minutes until all is incorporated.
- Saute the Andouille over med-high heat until crispy and add to the pot.
- Stir and serve.