Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
I love this recipe. Anything with lots of garlic sounds good to me. Relatively easy to make as well.
- 40 garlic cloves, seperated but not peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 6 wedges
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 slices whole wheat baguette, toasted, for garnish
- snipped fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss whole garlic cloves, potato, onion, sage, 1 tbs oil, 1 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper in a large ovenproof skillet. Cover and transfer to oven. Roast, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the garnish: put the remaining 1 1/2 tsp oil and the sliced garlic into a small skillet. Cook over low heat, swirling skillet occasionally, until garlic is browned but not burned, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic slices to paper towels to drain.
- Remove skillet from oven, and stir in 1/3 cup of water. Cover, and return to oven; roast until potato is deep golden brown and garlic and onion are very soft, about 20 minutes. Transfer garlic cloves to a plate, and let cool slightly. Squeeze garlic from skins into skillet; discard skins.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add sherry, and cook, stirring to scrape up browned bits, 1 minute. Add stock and 1/2 cup water, and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- Puree vegetable mixture in a blender. Press through a fine sieve into a medium saucepan. Heat over low heat; stir in lemon juice, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with toasted baguette slices, fried garlic, and chives.