Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My bf and I concocted this after having some FANTASTIC roasted garlic soup from a local gourmet pizzeria. We looked up some other recipes on the web, made some adjustments, and voila! Delicious! Just don't leave out the squeeze of lemon at the end, it makes ALL the difference in the flavor. I like to add just a little bit at a time and then taste...
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 heads garlic
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 0.5 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 1 large fresh tomato
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges (or bottled lemon juice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop off tops of garlic heads, and arrange in glass baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with tin foil.
- Roast in oven for 45 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then squeeze out cloves.
- Coarsely chop garlic cloves. Saute onion in butter until translucent, then add garlic, chicken broth, wine, tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Separate 1 cup of mixture and puree until smooth, then return to pot, or use a stick blender for a couple of pulses.
- Stir in spinach and cover just a few minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Serve with lemon garnish.