I love garlic mashed potatoes, but usually the flavor is a little sharp and bitter, so I came up with this. Roasting the garlic first gives these potatoes all the wonderful garlic flavor, without the sharp or bitter bite. Almost sweet, smoky, and smooth.
- Boil potatoes with skins until fork tender.
- Drain water and coarsely smash potatoes with potato masher. (until just slightly smashed).
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the skin into the smashed potato.
- Add milk, butter, salt and pepper. Stir with a spoon until combined. Serve hot with your favorite chicken, beef, or pork dish. No need for gravy with these potatoes! ;-).
- *NOTE: You could always mash the potatoes, to your desired consistency. I prefer the slightly smashed texture for this recipe.*.