Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
Another good one from Cooking Light Magazine, December 2007 edition. The strong cheese provides a good opportunity to enjoy a full bodied ale that doesn't dominate the food. They recommend Fuller's ESB from London, or Dock Street Ale from Philadelphia.
- 3-5 whole garlic heads, unpeeled
- 51.76 ml olive oil, divided
- 6.16 ml salt, divided
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper, divided
- crushed red pepper flakes (for that extra kick)
- 8-10 shallots, unpeeled
- 473.18 ml coarsely chopped onions
- 236.59 ml dry white wine
- 709.77 ml chicken stock or 709.77 ml vegetable stock
- 473.18 ml cubed peeled baking potatoes (1/2 inch cubes or dice)
- 1 medium tomatoes, whole (for color only)
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh thyme
- 236.59 ml 2% low-fat milk
- 16 slice French baguettes (about 1/2-inch thick)
- cooking spray
- 177.44 ml crumbled blue cheese
- 29.58 ml grated fresh parmesan cheese
- ROAST GARLIC & SHALLOTS:.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To prepare soup, remove white papery skins from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves); cut off tops, leaving root ends intact.
- Place garlic in a shallow roasting pan.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over garlic; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cover with foil; bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Add shallots to pan; drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over shallots; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until tender and browned.
- Squeeze garlic to extract pulp; peel shallots.
- Discard skins.
- Set garlic pulp and shallots aside.
- THE SOUP:.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil & crushed red pepper flakes (if using) in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion & tomato (if it falls apart that is OK).
- Cover and cook 15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic pulp, peeled shallots, and wine.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock, potato, and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Cool slightly.
- Place half of potato mixture in a blender; process until smooth.
- Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture.
- Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in milk, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper into pureed mixture.
- Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- PREPARE CROUTONS:.
- Place bread slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet; lightly coat tops of bread with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400°F for 8 minutes or until lightly browned; sprinkle cheeses evenly over bread slices & bake 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve warm on the side with soup; and a salad of greens.