2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Another good one from Cooking Light Magazine, December 2007 edition. The strong cheese provides a good opportunity to enjoy a full bodied ale that doesn't dominate the food. They recommend Fuller's ESB from London, or Dock Street Ale from Philadelphia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -5 whole garlic heads, unpeeled
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- crushed red pepper flakes (for that extra kick)
- 8 -10 shallots, unpeeled
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups cubed peeled baking potatoes (1/2 inch cubes or dice)
- 1 medium tomato, whole (for color only)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 16 slices French baguettes (about 1/2-inch thick)
- cooking spray
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1ROAST GARLIC & SHALLOTS:.
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 3To prepare soup, remove white papery skins from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves); cut off tops, leaving root ends intact.
- 4Place garlic in a shallow roasting pan.
- 5Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over garlic; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 6Cover with foil; bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- 7Add shallots to pan; drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over shallots; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 8Cover and bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until tender and browned.
- 10Squeeze garlic to extract pulp; peel shallots.
- 11Discard skins.
- 12Set garlic pulp and shallots aside.
- 13THE SOUP:.
- 14Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil & crushed red pepper flakes (if using) in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion & tomato (if it falls apart that is OK).
- 15Cover and cook 15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- 16Add garlic pulp, peeled shallots, and wine.
- 17Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- 18Stir in stock, potato, and thyme; bring to a boil.
- 19Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender.
- 20Cool slightly.
- 21Place half of potato mixture in a blender; process until smooth.
- 22Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl.
- 23Repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture.
- 24Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in milk, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper into pureed mixture.
- 25Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 26Preheat oven to 400°F
- 27PREPARE CROUTONS:.
- 28Place bread slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet; lightly coat tops of bread with cooking spray.
- 29Bake at 400°F for 8 minutes or until lightly browned; sprinkle cheeses evenly over bread slices & bake 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- 30Serve warm on the side with soup; and a salad of greens.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Garlic & Shallot Potato Soup With Cheesy Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 815.5
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 21.3 mg
- Sodium 1991.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 27.1 g